- Sony has released an update for the PS5 console, bringing it to Version 23.02-08.20.00.
- The latest PS5 update revamps music in the control center, adds a feature to prevent broadcasting surroundings on PlayStation VR2, and allows users to check for new features via voice command.
- The update has also improved messages and usability on some screens, but specific details are not provided.
Sony has released a brand-new update for its PlayStation 5 console that brings the system up to Version 23.02-08.20.00. Sony has released multiple updates for the PS5 since first releasing the console back in 2020. Sometimes the PlayStation 5 console updates are rather substantial and add new features for users to check out, but other times the updates are smaller-scale with vague patch notes that don’t give fans a comprehensive idea of everything they do.
Most of the PS5 console updates fall in the latter category. Typically, when Sony releases these PS5 console updates, it releases patch notes that simply say, “This system software update improves system performance” without giving fans details into exactly how performance has been improved. The latest PS5 console update, released at the end of October, is a different story, however.
PS5 gamers can download the new console update right now. According to the patch notes, the new PS5 console update revamps music in the control center to make it easier to use, while a Block See-Through View on TV option has been added for PlayStation VR2 users. This makes it so players can avoid accidentally broadcasting their surroundings when playing games on the PS VR2. The latest PS5 update has also added the ability to say “What’s new?” through Voice Commands to find out about new PS5 features. And finally, the latest PS5 update is said to have “improved the messages and usability on some screens,” though specifics have not been provided at the time of this writing.
Of course, it’s possible that the new PS5 update has made secret changes not mentioned by the patch notes. Some PS5 updates have made secret changes in the past, adding helpful quality of life features without shining a big spotlight on it. For example, Sony recently changed-up the home screen to include an icon for PS5 games that can be streamed through the cloud. As more PS5 users download this latest update, it will be interesting to see if any secret changes are discovered this time around.
Whenever a big new PS5 update comes out, fans are always reminded about the console’s most glaring missing feature. Unfortunately, PS5 still does not have dynamic themes. Sony has not made any announcements about bringing back dynamic themes for PS5, but it’s easily one of the most-requested feature by fans. For now, PS5 gamers will have to be satisfied with the new PS5 update and the features it brings to the table, even if they aren’t as flashy as dynamic themes.
PS5 Update 23.02-08.20.00 Patch Notes
- Music in the control center is now much easier to use. With its two-column layout, you can easily browse various categories, playlists, and songs.
- You can avoid unintentionally broadcasting your surroundings while broadcasting games with your PlayStation VR2.
- Go to Settings > Accessories > PlayStation VR2, and turn on Block See-Through View on TV to prevent the camera see-through image from being displayed on your TV while using your PS VR2.
- If you say “What’s new?” via Voice Command on any screen, you can now check for new PS5 features.
- Currently, Voice Command (Preview) is only available in English for players with accounts for PlayStation Network in the US and UK.
- We’ve improved the messages and usability on some screens.
Sony’s PlayStation 5 is part of the ninth console generation and debuted with a launch lineup that included Demon’s Souls and Astro’s Playroom. The console comes with a Blu-ray disc, although a digital-only edition is also available for a cheaper price.
- Original Release Date
- November 12, 2020
- Original MSRP (USD)
- Disc Edition: $499.99; Digital Edition: $399.99