Phasmophobia is still proving itself popular among those looking for online scares to experience with others, especially in the streaming community. Being one of Steam’s highest rated games, Kinetic has a vested interest in keeping its cooperative ghost hunting IP in good shape. One of the most vital aspects is the game’s roster of spectral beings, and the latest update has added a few more, along with a bunch of other tweaks and quality of life changes.
In a recent post on the Steam page, update v0.6.2.0, which has been dubbed “Truck Overhaul,” has started rolling out for Phasmophobia. One of the biggest changes to the game is the implementation of three new ghosts: the Deogen, Moroi, and Thaye. However, unlike in previous patch notes, the studio is not going to be giving away any spoilers on what these ghosts’ abilities are. Instead, it will be left up to players to work together and see if they can “uncover the truth.”
Ghosts are the most important aspect of Phasmophobia, however, there is more in this rather significant patch. As the name suggests, this newest update also overhauls the truck that all players start in. It’s had its layout altered and has been given a new model. Perhaps the most intriguing change is that items are now placed on the wall rather than on the shelves, as has been the usual case until now. On top of that, there’s been a change to the voice recognition mechanic. The game will now support a lot more languages, and the developer has added new input options, such as noise suppression.
This is a pretty interesting update, adding yet more to the game and keeping things ticking over nicely. Of course, fans are still hoping for some new levels to be added. The last new map to be added to Phasmophobia was Maple Lodge Campsite, the first outdoor level of the game. That was last October, with the patch also coming with a new nightmare difficulty, so many are on the lookout for new locations at some point in the future.
Overall, things seem to be going well for Kinetic Games’ 2020 release. It’s one of the best horror games to play with others, blending cooperative play with investigative mechanics as players look to solve each haunting. It will be interesting to see what the independent studio will come up with next.
Here are the full patch notes:
We’ve had reports of three new entities haunting several locations, more information is available in the Journal:
- Deogen Always watching
- Moroi Risen from the grave to curse their victims
- Thaye The ever-aging ghost
- These three ghosts will have an increased chance to spawn for 2 weeks
We’re introducing “The Investigation Period” along with these new ghost types!
This gives players around two weeks to try and work out the ghosts’ abilities, traits and secrets before we update these patch notes
with the specifics (spoilered of course). We’re hoping this will bring back the original investigator feeling and allow players to work together, as a team, to uncover the truth!
Our Voice recognition system has been completely replaced!
We are no longer relying on Windows’ speech systems, meaning it supports many more languages and platforms, such as ‘GeForce Now’ and Steam Deck, with no setup required (and fixes that pesky tab-out bug).
- You now only need to set your microphone in-game, instead of your ‘Windows Default Microphone’
- You can now see the input volume of your microphone in the Audio Settings
- Additional microphone input options have been added: Voice Detector Sensitivity Noise Suppression
Due to the new system only working if you are in a server, the voice recognition test has been removed.
Note: The above additional Audio options are only available while in-game, through the Journal’s Options menu
Currently supported languages:
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
- Brazilian Portuguese
- More languages will be added in a future update
- The Truck has received new models, a new layout, and materials
- Equipment is now placed on the wall in the Truck Placing any equipment back on the wall, similarly to head cameras, will be added with the ‘Custom Difficulty’ update
- When lit, the campfire in Maple Lodge Campsite will now increase the temperature of the area around it
- The Maple Lodge Campfire will now show a hot temperature reading on a Thermometer
- You can now buy four lighters and three salt shakers
- Added new footstep sounds for the metal floor in the Truck and on the ramp
- The number of free hiding spots will now be increased when playing multi-player games Three players: +1 hiding spot Four players: +2 hiding spots
- The voice recognition splash-screen has been removed, as it is no longer needed
- The map screen in the truck now has up and down arrows for changing floors, instead of a single button
- When using their ability, Jinn will now leave EMF at the Fuse Box rather than where they are currently stood
- You will now never see ‘ghost mist’ when the ghost type is an Oni
- The cursor will no longer lock when playing in VR
- All locations have had their lighting re-baked, to a higher quality, to help reduce any light leaks and artifacts
- The chance for the Mare light ability has been slightly increased
- Replaced the Russian, Ukrainian, Turkish, Greek, and Japanese fonts to be more readable
- Sanity Pills can no longer be duplicated for extra uses
- Sanity Pills will now give the correct insurance amount
- You can now use the main menu boom-box in VR
- The delay when taking a photo has been removed
- Yurei can no longer drain your sanity when you are outside the location
- Yurei will no longer stop interacting if they use their ability in the Willow garage
- You can now interact with all interactable objects in VR
- The photo camera sound will now muffle correctly between floors
- You can no longer light Lighters with lit Candles
- Candles can now be lit with other lit Candles
- Candle and Lighter flames will now cast the correct shadows
- The shoulder flashlight will no longer break when closing and opening the truck door
- Fixed missing Korean and Traditional Chinese text
- The controls text in the training will no longer overlap the keybind text
- Potential fix for the VR runtime launching when playing without VR
Phasmophobia is available on PC.